With spring coming and the weather getting nicer, I am starting to get Spring Fever. Being quarantined and away from all the people we would typically spend these lovely days with is brutal. I remember being able to have a social life and hang out with my friends in the bar, campground, and other people’s houses. Social distancing, while being necessary, has been seriously hard for a lot of people. I love the idea of having a parking lot party.
People can stay apart while being together, soaking up the sunshine and taking in the energy we all have stored up from being cooped up all winter. I can imagine a table set up with premixed cocktails, portioned snacks in disposable recyclable cups. Hand sanitizer and disposable masks everywhere like birthday decorations. Our foldable camp chairs all in a circle 6 feet apart from each other.
I understand that it does not sound ideal. This is a feasible way that I can see things being able to be done for the foreseeable future. It is easy for us to forget that we can still gather, and we can take the necessary safety precautions and still be together. I have put a lot of thought into a menu for this kind of gathering and hope to use it soon.
These are drinks to enjoy in the second year of this socially distant nightmare.
1. Lychee Watermelon press. This drink is sweet without being overbearing. Perfect for soaking up the sun in the driveway.
- In a Collins glass
- ½ oz Lychee syrup
- ½ oz Watermelon pucker
- 1 oz vodka
Fill with sprite and soda water. Use frozen watermelon chunks as ice. I like to call it “When things get back to normal”.
2. This one is for when you’re feeling fancy because that stimulus just hit your account.
- Bruise up a couple of leaves of Basil first and put them in the bottom of the glass.
- In a tall glass with ice
- 1&1/2 oz Gin
- Fill with fresh-squeezed lemonade.
The Basil looks like cash, and the perfect color of fresh lemonade reminds me of gold. I call this one “Biden Bucks.”
3. There is not much better than something fruit-filled and crisp while you’re sitting in the sun. This is a drink that looks great in a big glass pitcher set out for self-service. This drink reminds me of a cleaner fruit punch. I use frozen diced peaches, but they can be substituted for any fruit.
- Mason jar
- Fill 1/3 with the frozen peaches
- 1 oz orange vodka
- 1 o. cherry vodka
- Fill with pineapple seltzer water.
Drinking this is like having summer and sunshine radiating out of you, and the frozen fruit acts like ice so it won’t get watered down. I call it “the impeachment that we deserved”.
4. Some of us have taken drinking to another level while not having a bar to drink at. For those of us that show up to the parking lot party hangover, here’s a bloody Maria to give us some vitamins.
- In a goblet
- Fill with ice
- 1&1/2 oz silver tequila
- Fill with your mix
- Bloody mix:
- 1 48 oz can of tomato juice or about 6 cups.
- 3 tablespoons creamy hot horseradish.
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons celery salt.
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt.
- Tabasco sauce and Angostura bitters to taste.
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Mix all together well and refrigerate.
- Garnish with lime, pickled green bean, and Green olives.
Making your very own Bloody mix gives you the feeling of being a real-life bartender. I like to rim the glass with celery salt before filling it because it goes well with the tequila. This mix is excellent to keep on hand, premixed for ease of use. I call this one “I am the bartender now”.
The drink pictures is…just something in my backyard. -Kayla